Friday, June 11, 2010

"Uh-oh" Banana Oatmeal Cookies

      Banana Bread seems to be kind of an "uh-oh" dessert, at least in my kitchen.  I don't usually buy bananas with the intention of making banana bread.  I want to eat them for breakfast, but they tend to ripen faster than I expect.  The chain of events leading up to me making banana bread usually starts that morning.  I  fix my coffee, then reach for a banana and realize -- uh-oh -- they are too ripe to really eat by themselves.  Time to make bread.  Today's recipe is even more of an "uh-oh" recipe.  In addition to not wanting to waste the bananas, I wanted to make healthy bread -- no white flour, no white sugar.  Unfortunately, when I got the wheat flour out of the freezer, I realized that it had freezer burn.  Wheat flour, no go.  The only other flour-type options left in the pantry were buckwheat pancake mix and cooking oats.


So, I used the Whole Wheat Oatmeal Cookie Recipe that I found online, but with a few alterations:

1/2 cup Crisco
1 cup mashed very ripe bananas
1/4 cup honey
1 egg
-- Mix these together, then stir in --
1 1/4 cup oats
1 cup buckwheat pancake mix
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

(Note: you can adjust the amount of flour until you get the desired consistency).
Place by heaping spoonfuls on a cookie sheet.


Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes (or until the cookies are no longer shiny on top).  Let them cool a bit and then serve warm.  Makes about 14 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment